Smile — It’s Good for You!
At Breezy Bay Dental, we’re in the smiling business. Not just because we love teeth, though. That’s part of it, of course, but as it turns out, smiling is actually good for you! That’s right: The very instinct that kicks in when you’re a toothless infant has both health and social benefits. Here are just a few examples:
- Stress Reduction: A simple smile (even a fake smile) triggers the release of the feel-good neurotransmitters, dopamine and serotonin. The result? Your mood improves and your heart rate slows. The next time you feel stress approaching, why not try smiling and see if it has a calming effect?
- Immunity Boost: The same neurotransmitters that reduce stress are what helps you stay healthy. When you smile, the accompanying stress reduction boosts your immune system, making it easier for your body to fight disease. When you feel a cold coming on, be sure to add smiling to your list of preventative tools.
- Blood Pressure Reduction: Our favorite neurotransmitters, dopamine and serotonin, combined with endorphins, can lower blood pressure. This is not to say that smiling will cure hypertension, but it’s a start.
- Fountain of Youth: Smiling gives you a natural face lift. Stand in the mirror with a neutral expression then smile; you’ll notice that your cheeks, eyes, and mouth all lift upward. Not only does this make you look younger, it makes you look more attractive and approachable.
- Success Indicator: When we see someone smile, we interpret them as confident. Those who appear confident are more likely to be approached for important tasks on the job as well as earn promotions. If you’ve been looking for a pay raise at work, try smiling!
- The Best Contagion: Smiling is contagious! Very few people refuse to return smiles if you flash those pearly whites. Furthermore, your smile could be the most positive experience of someone’s day, so be generous with that grin and spread the joy.
If you live in Palm Harbor, Florida, or the surrounding communities, we’d love to help you have a smile you’d be proud to share with the world. Contact our office today to schedule an appointment.