When we’re in pain, we tend to treat the symptoms instead of questioning the cause. It seems so easy to just take an anti-inflammatory medication and just move on with life. The problem is that pain is your body’s way of letting you know that something is wrong, and as tiny as those teeth are compared to a sore knee or aching back, when they hurt, they’re talking to you. Are you listening?
What Is Your Toothache Saying?
There could be a number of reasons for a persistent toothache, including:
- Cavities — When plaque bacteria collect on your teeth, they destroy the enamel that protects your teeth and prevents them from hurting. If you have a cavity, the pain will not go away until the decay is removed and the cavity is filled. In this case, waiting only causes further pain and damage to your teeth.
- Gum Disease — Gum disease causes your gums to recede and pull away from your teeth, leaving the roots exposed. Exposed roots can be sensitive to heat, cold, even air, so you’ll want to be treated as soon as possible. If you wait to seek treatment, you run the risk of losing a tooth, as gum disease is the leading cause of tooth loss.
- Infected Tooth Root — If a tooth root is infected, you’re going to need a root canal. The mere mention of a root canal may send some running for cover, but because patients are anesthetized during a root canal, they feel no pain. That’s a far better alternative to living day after day with tooth pain and sensitivity.
- Cracked or Chipped Tooth — If your tooth has been damaged, the nerve may be exposed, causing excruciating pain. The only way to stop the pain is to repair the tooth so the nerves are no longer exposed. Fillings, crowns, and bonding will do the trick.
- Other Health Concerns — Occasionally, a toothache has nothing to do with your teeth; instead it’s an indication of an ear ache, sinus infection, or other malady that requires the care of a doctor. The only way to know for sure is to schedule an appointment to see your doctor or dentist.
If you live in or near Palm Harbor, Florida, let Breezy Bay Dental put an end to your pain. Our state-of-the-art practice has everything you need to keep your teeth happy and healthy.