So, it’s that time of the year. The parties are starting. The holiday office party, the church potluck, all the gatherings at people’s homes and businesses that you have to attend.
And at every one, there will be cookies, cake, eggnog, and lots of… SUGAR.
Yes, it’s all yummy and we want you to enjoy that Gandy’s Pie and those cookies. But we also want you to think about your teeth and keep them safe and happy.
Here are some tips you can use to enjoy the parties and save the teeth:
- Avoid drinking soda, black tea, coffee and red wine. I know, they’re at every party, but if you can’t keep away from them, slip away to the bathroom and rinse your mouth with water after you drink these. It will help wash away the stain causing elements of these beverages. Also, if you’ve eaten a lot of sugary cookies and cakes, rinsing will wash away the food particles that can get stuck in your teeth. Bad breath and dry mouth can be avoided by a simple rinsing of your teeth with clean water.
- Choose the healthy snacks. No, they’re not as much fun but fresh fruits and veggies are often out at parties too. Bring a healthy snack to share and go easy on the sweets.
- Keep your breath fresh and your mouth happy. Look for the parsley garnishing the plates. It may feel weird to grab a parsley swig that is there as a garnish but it’s a great breath saver. A drop of peppermint oil in water is also a great way to freshen your breath.
- Carry some basic cleaning stuff with you. Brushing your teeth at parties might not be possible but bringing some oral care basics like floss and mouthwash is easy peasy. Take a break from the party and the sweets and give your teeth some quick love. Your teeth will thank you and so will your dentist.
- Get those teeth cleaned after the holidays. Make that January appointment and give those teeth, and the sugar, a break once all the hoopla is over. Check out Breezy Bay Dental for special offers on teeth cleaning. New customers are always welcome and a teeth cleaning is a great way to meet our team and get to know us.