Gingivitis is a mild form of gum disease (periodontal disease) that causes irritation, redness, and swelling of your gums. It’s very common and many people are not aware they have this problem.. Gingivitis can lead to much more serious gum disease (periodontitis) and eventual tooth loss if not addressed.
Plaque – the soft, sticky, colorless film of bacteria that forms constantly on the teeth and gums, is the cause of Gingivitis.Plaque can be removed by brushing and flossing every day, Left untreated, gingivitis can become periodontitis and cause permanent damage to your teeth and jaw.
Healthy gums are firm and pale pink.Check your gums for puffiness or bleeding. Gingivitis is not painful but there are signs that you may have a problem.
Signs and symptoms of gingivitis include:
- Swollen gums
- Soft, puffy gums
- Receding gums
- Tender gums
- Gums that bleed easily when you brush or floss
- A change in the color of your gums from a healthy pink to dusky red
- Bad breath
Professional cleanings are extremely important because once plaque has hardened and built up, or become tartar, only a dentist or dental hygienist can remove it.
How do I stop Gingivitis in it’s tracks?
- Proper brushing and flossing
- Eating Healthy foods to ensure proper nutrition for your teeth, gums and jaw
- DON’T smoke cigarettes or use tobacco in any way
- Get regular checkups with your dentist